Parents play a vital role in the delivery and support of all volunteer organisations and Balmoral Nippers is no exception. The administrators of Balmoral Nippers (”the Green Crew”) and Balmoral Beach Club (“BBC”) have certain legal obligations to all participants and stakeholders in Balmoral Nippers, including Mosman Council, the general public, our volunteers and to each other. With participation comes reciprocal responsibility.
All parents and volunteers must conduct themselves in a way that is safe, constructive and encouraging for the Nippers but we understand many participants are passionate about the beach, sport and other activities.
Balmoral Nippers follow and adopt child safety and risk assessment guidelines and best practices from Surf Life Saving NSW and related organisations. We have adopted the following Code of Conduct for Parents and Guardians. We have an obligation to report incidences that are outside these guidelines. Joining Balmoral Nippers means you the Parent, Guardian and all Age Managers acknowledge and accept our Code of Conduct.
Balmoral Nippers - Our Code of Conduct
- Remember that children participate for their enjoyment and development;
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of others;
- Sportsmanship takes precedence over winning;
- Inappropriate behaviours such as swearing, aggressive, sexual or overly physical contact, recklessness, unreasonable or anti-social behaviour, loss of temper or violence will not, and cannot be tolerated;
- Compete within the rules, and within the “Spirit of Balmoral Nippers”;
- Encourage children to participate, do not force or overly coerce them, set realistic goals;
- Focus on effort and performance rather than winning or losing;
- Encourage everyone to always play by the rules and to settle disagreements without hostility;
- Never ridicule a child or volunteer for making a mistake or losing a competition;
- Remember children and those new to Balmoral Nippers learn best by example;
- Appreciate good performances and skilful plays by all participants;
- Verbal and physical abuse of Age Managers or Green Crew, sledging of other competitors, deliberately distracting or provoking an opponent are not tolerated or permitted;
- Respect the Green Crew’s decisions and teach children to do likewise;
- Show appreciation for Age Managers and Green Crew. Without them, there is no Balmoral Nippers.
Disagreements and grievances
If you disagree with a decision or an Age Manager, raise the issue at the right time, calmly, politely and with respect. Aside from acting quickly when obvious danger presents itself, a friendly chat, after the session is “Spirit of Nippers”. Arguing over equipment, how the session is conducted or results of competition which disrupts the session is not.
Age Managers give their time and effort for your child’s involvement. Most of all, they are concerned with your child’s safety and enjoyment in mind. Balmoral Nippers will not tolerate questions of judgment and honesty aired in public. Remember, Nippers are children and their enjoyment, safety and a non-threatening environment is our first priority.
The BBC, Balmoral Nippers, Mosman Council and or Police can and will disbar anyone from Balmoral Nippers who’s behaviour warrants it.