The program is oversubscribed and it basically comes down to luck.
(The below figures come from the 2019-20 season enrolment)
- We had 3,500 people registered as interested
- 1,200 of those enrolled during the enrolment window
- Mosman council allow us 700 children on the beach (due to safety, driven by the size of the beach)
- 555 were automatically allocated a place due to prior participation
- 145 places were available for allocation
- 645 were applying for those places
Therefore, 500 children were turned away.
This is how the 145 available places were spread over the groups:
The reason why there are so few places are available from the 5s up is that previous participants come back and re-enrol for future seasons.
645 applications were received for these places, with around 60 disappointed for the each of groups 5 through 8.
- The 4s has 80 (two groups of 20 girls, and two of 20 boys), however some are automatically allocated due to having a sibling that has participated before who is in this season (see below) - which is why we had only 64 places this season.
- We do not take new participants into the Bronzies program, hence they are excluded from the above graphic
3. Allocation to available places
We have a policy of placing the whole family so for an application to be successfully enrolled we need to have a place for each child.
If everyone had one child in their application this would be easier, however families apply with up to four children and this is where it gets difficult. (Actually there are 38,000 permutations!)
For example: A family application is for a 7 girl and a 6 boy. We may have a place for a 6 boy, but not the 7 girl hence the application is not successful (and the 6 boy) would not get a place.
We're sorry, it's just an extremely popular program and our capacity is limited by the physical size of the beach.